Sunday, July 27, 2014

Am I?

Am I thankful...

When I sweep crumbs after each meal?
When I step over toys that were supposed to be put away?
When I discover a broken keyboard and dropped remote and chipped bowl that weren't supposed to be played with?
When sand is tracked into the house even though shoes were supposed to come off outside?

Am I thankful...

For the food that I have before I complain about the crumbs?
For the blessing of having many material wants, far beyond just my needs?
For the inconvenience of broken things because of the energy from four healthy kids who are able to play?
For the fact I have a home that can get dirty?
"Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:19-20
Am I content...

When I am waiting and waiting and answers don't come?
When I am tired and frustrated and patience isn't natural?
When decisions aren't fair and outcomes are discouraging?
When relationships are hard and words are hurtful?

Am I content..?

When I have to wait and depend on God alone who gives peace?
When I'm physically worn and emotionally drained because then I see God sustain and carry me?
When events unfold that require me to look toward heavenly rewards instead of earthly defeat?
When I feel unsteady but have the embrace of One who is always trustworthy?
"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." 1 Timothy 6:6-8
Am I joyful...

When I'm making my third trip to the grocery store - in the same week?
When a teething baby is satisfied only in my arms - seemingly all day long?
When kids complain and siblings bicker?
When circumstances aren't fair and no one seems to care?

Am I joyful...

When I realize the blessing of having money, of having food, and of having a growing family?
When I put my wants on hold so that I can meet the needs of another who fully dependent on me?
When I look in the eyes of my children and see the uniqueness and purposes of each one?
When I remember that God doesn't promise fairness but he does promise faithfulness?
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Am I patient...

When my words are twisted, taken out of context, or entirely forgotten?
When high expectations are met with deep frustration and discouragement?
When decisions are quick but actions are slow?
When I repeat myself to the same person about the same thing again and again and again?

Am I patient...

Because I remember the times I have misunderstood others and still been given a chance?
Because I remember the freedom in receiving a second chance?
Because I remember the times I've lacked motivation to follow through on a task?
Because I know I can be forgetful and unorganized and unscheduled at times?
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2
Am I kind...

When my instruction to another is met with disgust or disregard?
When gossip comes full-circle and my trust has been betrayed?
When others compare or finger point or gawk?
When I'm interrupted or overlooked?

Am I kind...

Because I know my authority isn't final and that I'm accountable to Someone much greater?
Because I know God knows my heart, my words, and my intentions?
Because I know all people were made in God's image and have eternal worth?
Because I know God sees and hears?
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32
Thankfulness.
Contentment.
Joyfulness.
Patience.
Kindness.

I am commanded to demonstrate these things, but they aren't earned traits. I must choose, with the Spirit's power, to be thankful, be content, be joyful, be patient, and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment