Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Book Review: Grab a tissue

I just finished reading Tortured for Christ, by Richard Wurmbrand, Founder of The Voice of the Martyrs. It was a short read, but not an easy read.

Wurmbrand, a Romanian pastor, shares his story of 14 years in prison where he was brutally tortured by the Communists because of his faith in God. He reveals some of the unspeakable tortures he endured. He tells how his family was ripped apart because of their commitment to God and the Communist hate for God.

"The cruelty of atheism is hard to believe. When a man has no faith in the reward of good or the punishment of evil, there is no reason to be human. There is no restraint from the depths of evil that is in man. The Communist torturers often said, 'There is no God, no hereafter, no punishment for evil. We can do as we wish.' I heard on torturer say, 'I thank God, in whom I don't believe, that I have lived to this hour when I can express all the evil in my heart.' He expressed it in unbelievable cruelty and torture inflicted on prisoners... I learned from them. As they allowed no place for Jesus in their hearts, I decided I would leave not the smallest place for Satan in mine." p.36

Wurmbrand played a vital role in establishing the underground church in Romania. Reading about the work, prayer, sacrifice, and suffering required to share God's Truth in such a hostile environment was eye-opening to me.

I think sometimes I know something because I read it in the news or hear a 20 minute missionary presentation, but, unfortunately, I don't fully respect it until I put names and faces and personal stories to it. This book does that - in a powerful way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a humbling, humbling quote! We are SO blessed here & it is too easy to take for granted. Thanks for sharing a great book review!

    ReplyDelete