Thursday, October 6, 2016

Annalyse Joy: Six!

Annalyse went to bed a precious little five-year old, and, THANK GOODNESS, she woke up still precious and little... but a now six-year old!

Growing, learning, and maturing? Yes. Still just as sweet and innocent and playful? For sure.
While there are some (plenty of?) moments in parenting that I want to speed up or that I wish I could avoid altogether, I can honestly say I have had only the slightest of those moments with Annalyse. I'm sure more less-than-wonderful days are ahead, but for these first six years she has been a pure delight.
She is a rose among thorns... the icing on the cake... the diamond in the rough. Surrounded by brothers, there's no doubt she is well-loved and will be well-protected! And don't for one split second think she's got a hard life with only brothers. She can more than hold her own and can more than keep up with most of their antics and adventures.
I call her occasional attitudes bossy, while others call it assertive. Regardless, she has a way of making her opinions known and of getting her ideas accomplished. Understanding the difference between telling and asking is a work in progress. Thank goodness for precious friends who adore her and for patient adults who join me in teaching her.

This girl is going places - her heart is big, her imagination is strong, and her personality is contagious!

I sat down with the birthday girl and asked her a few questions...

What do you think you'll like best about being six?
Six means I have to use both hands now to show how old I am!

What is one thing you really want to do before you turn seven?
Become a good reader and learn to roller blade.
How many teeth do you think you'll lose this year?
Well, I lost a tooth just two days after I turned six, so maybe I'll lose about eight more still.

What is your favorite thing about first grade?
Going to co-op, being with my friends, fun field trips... you know, the usual school stuff.

What is your favorite thing to do when you're with your friends?
Hhmmm. That's a hard question because I like to do anything if my friends are there. We usually like to play family and pretend.

What is a special lesson you've learned about God, his world, or his truth?
That God loves me and will never ever stop loving me.
Annalyse received some birthday money and that pushed her over her goal of saving enough money for an American Girl doll. For the last year and a half, she has been faithfully saving her coins and "paper money" to buy Kaya. Her eyes have always and only been set on Kaya.
We spent time touching and looking at all the dolls and accessories, just to be sure Kaya was the one she wanted. After an hour of wandering the store, Annalyse was positive she wanted Kaya. And because of the unexpected birthday money, she had enough to purchase an extra outfit and some accessories for Kaya!
I hoisted Annalyse up on the counter, she unzipped her Doc McStuffins wallet, and proudly handed over a fistful of $1's, $5's, and $20's. And a very patient salesperson enthusiastically counted the stack of money, while congratulating Annalyse for being diligent to save her money for so long.
Shopping makes a girl hungry, so we closed our girls night out with dessert at The Cheeksecake Factory. A generous woman sitting a few seats over heard it was Annalyse's birthday and randomly said, "You look to me like you're six. Is that how old you are now?" When Annalyse nodded her head yes, the woman plopped six dollars down on the table and wished Annalyse a happy birthday!
Annalyse Joy, as you head into year six, I keep on praying...

That you will "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:18

That you will always choose to be "kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

And that as you know, love, and serve God more, you will proclaim: "The Lord has done great things for [me] and [ am] filled with JOY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment