Saturday, September 7, 2013

Being Thankful

I have a lot to be thankful for. 

Even on those days when the routine of life seems mundane and repetitive. Even when I see an eager learner take small steps backward in his understanding of a subject. Even when I see a negative behavior resurface in one of my kids. Even when my husband and I aren't entirely on the same page about a decision. Even when family and friends don't share our priorities or values. Even when precious friends face difficulties no one should ever have to think about, much less experience.
And, yes, even in the midst of those periods of time when I can't observe the results of open-handed yieldedness to God's direction and I find myself waiting. 

Waiting.

Waiting.

And then wondering if I'm truly open-handed and fully yielded. And so then the waiting continues.

Even then, I have a lot to be thankful for. Small things and big things. Simple things and complicated things. Normal things and extravagant things. 
This week I've been flooded with thanks for simple things.

For friends who acknowledge that time together occasionally trumps time in textbooks and home schooling and agree to impromptu get-togethers.

For a husband who doesn't bat an eye or raise a voice when an elbowed nose bleed happens as we're sitting down to dinner, or when drinks get spilled at the dinner table and seven towels aren't enough to clean up the mess, or when a little one wets the bed and tromps into our room at 2:something in the morning to tell us, or when another little one sprints into our room at 4:something in the morning to announce he's about to be sick.

For the chance to spend quality time knowing my kids, learning with them, growing with them, and experiencing God's world with them.

For reminders in God's Word that although what I see today, experience today, and feel today are important and that he cares, they pale in comparison to what he has promised to me in a soon-coming future.

For the wiggles and knocks deep in my womb that remind me of life - God-gifted life - and the grand privilege I have to nurture another mind and heart in the ways of Truth.
I have a lot to be thankful for. Do you?

2 comments:

  1. I recently found your blog and I am enjoying it! :) I could have written this post myself!!

    ReplyDelete