Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ugly

I have raised my voice at my boys. Yelled, actually.

I have lost my patience. Traffic. Kids. Career. School.

I have rolled my eyes at things my husband said. It was an internal eye roll so he never knew. But I still did it.

I have begun some days without praying first. That's independent ignorance.

I have shown pride in how I talked and acted. And really, who am I to give puffed up thought about myself?

I have compared myself to friends around me. Then I've let those comparisons sink my attitude.

I have complained to my husband. And then I got frustrated when he didn't resonate with my complaints.

Guess what? I have done all of this and it's only Thursday. Dangerous to think of what other sinful behavior I can squeeze in before the week is over, huh?

Here's the good news though. Tomorrow marks two thousand years when someone decided to take responsibility for all the ugly stuff I have done this week, and all the ugly stuff I have done before this week, and all the ugly stuff I'll ever do after this week.

He decided to put himself in my place of rightfully-earned punishment and torment so that I can, instead, taste life abundant and rest in life eternal.

Luke 19:10 "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

Ephesians 2:4-5 "But because of his great love for is, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved."

1 John 3:1 "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!"

Have you experienced his love? Of course you have - you're alive. His love chose you, created you, and sustains you.

Have you experienced his grace? Of course you have - you are breathing. His grace grants you each breath - none of which you deserve.

Have you accepted his gift? I don't know. I can't know. But I can tell you where to find it and how to accept it. Want to know more? Please ask.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Love this beautiful post, Sarah! At Jack's Easter program today the Principal talked about how recently he had been impacted by the fact that Jesus died not just for him, but instead of him...amazing love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Sarah! Don't be surprised if you see a very similar one my blog - we're thinking along the same lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reminder! What a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete