Monday, February 8, 2010

Humbled

Ever have those days - or weeks or months - where deep down inside you have the nagging questions about what's up ahead in life? You know, concerns and worries about relationships, finances, ministries, careers, and pretty much anything and everything else you can think of?

I do. And, I'm not one that's prone to usually worry. I can usually make decisions without all the details. I can usually run full-force ahead if there's someone I respect leading the way. I can usually wear an armor of confidence when most everyone else is hiding. Notice the clincher: usually.

But, sometimes I'm knocked off course. My eyes look down at the waves. My heart beats to the drum of temptations the world tosses to me. And when this happens, I worry.

I've been reading a book by John Piper, What Jesus Demands. Interestingly enough, the chapter I read last night was "Do Not Be Anxious About The Necessities of Daily Life." (Coincidence? I don't think so. Gulp.) So here are a few lines that, in typical Piper style, humbled my pride before the Giver of all good things:

"... Don't misappropriate God's allotted troubles for tomorrow. That is, don't bring them forward into today in the form of anxiety. Believe that God will be God tomorrow. Tomorrow there will be grace for tomorrow's troubles. That grace is not given today." (p. 118)

Doh! Basically telling me that troubles are coming in life but there is no point in worrying about them before they happen because God gives grace when I need it.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for today." Matthew 6:34

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah for that wonderful reminder...often I feel like I am "preparing", but am really just being anxious...how timely for me to hear that God gives grace exactly when needed & not before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So run on, Sarah! Full steam ahead! :-) Great post! Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete