Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"It's" Happened

I don't know if it's cause she's a girl. People say girls "get" things quicker.
I don't know if it's cause she's 16 months and discovering independence. People say it's a precursor to the Terrible (and Terrific) Twos.
I don't know if it's cause she's my third and I'm apt to pick up on things quicker. People say each kid brings a new dimension of insight.
 
I don't know if it's cause she's a spitfire and a likes-to-tiptoe-along-the-line-of-authority kind of girl. People say that God gives us kids to remind us the importance of obedience.
 
I don't know what it is. I don't know how it already is. And by it I mean the ability to say, "No!" Crystal clear and wonderfully loud. At only 16 months. All the time.
 
And, regardless of what other people say or think, I'm her mom and I'm responsible to shepherd this feisty heart toward surrender and obedience.

Watch out world, here we come.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, now the fun really begins! I know in our house, the "no's" came from Veronica much earlier than Hamilton, too. With those "no's," though, comes the opportunity to get to know her much better (as we also work to shepherd her).

    She is so blessed to have you as a mommy, who loves her enough to BE a mother and guide her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl or third child? I totally understand, they all just seem to get it quicker. A friend used to say they were getting out of the way for the next one:) In our case, we certainly keep that train moving! Just yesterday Nehemiah (28 mos) went to the fridge, pulled out string cheese and opened it himself along with a pack of fruit chews and a juice box. Wasn't Calla just asking her Kindergarten teacher for help with all of that? Oh just wait till you discover all of the great (and mischeivious) things they learn earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Annalyse is TOO cute! Ditto what Stephanie said...they just see & pick up on everything so quickly...they fit right in with what the "big" kids are doing! And, yes, unfortunately...that means that "No" enters the vocabulary rotation much sooner! I think one of Drew's first words was actually "why"...most kids enter the Why stage around 3 or so, but he has been asking "why" to everything for as long as I can remember! And saying NO, too!

    ReplyDelete