Friday, November 30, 2018

Mountain Getaway

There are a million things I love about the fall season. Hands down, one of my favorites is our tradition of packing up and heading to the mountains for a simple night or two getaway.

✔ Cool, fresh air
✔ Different, beautiful scenery
✔ Quality, uninterrupted family time

We choose a different trail, waterfall, cavern, or peak each year. This year: Grandfather Mountain.

Grady and I visited a few many years ago, when Grady Lee rode contentedly on a back and I was a nauseous mess with Micah growing inside. (No kids on backs and no kids growing inside this visit - phew!)
We walked and explored and relaxed and had the best time! The weather was perfect, no one was injured, and we never ran out of snacks. Because trust me, with four kids these can be deal-breakers otherwise.
So magnificent! So beautiful! So peaceful! And so "hold my hand or else don't take another step because I don't want you to die" on repeat.
Three of my four handsome boys. Such studs.
Peek-a-boo! Plenty of places to hide. Nooks and crannies everywhere had my kids thinking they were the first person to explore these places and Annalyse was convinced she was going to find and Indian arrowhead. (Bless.)
The views were spectacular and worth every step. Besides, holding a rope while climbing a boulder has a way of making you feel very adventurous and daring.
Grady Lee wanted to lay down and relax. Micah wanted to throw stones and see if he could hear them hit the ground below. Annalyse wanted to find pictures in the clouds. Jaxton wanted to see how many somersaults he could do before he got to the edge. And Grady and I mandated a five minute "No one talk or cough or laugh. Just sit here and take in the beauty and the quiet," which, ironically, was everyone's favorite part because we observed things we wouldn't have noticed while talking and moving.
I sure do love my crew. I love North Carolina. I love the fall season. And I love the gracious God who gifted all of this to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment